Sunday, September 18, 2011

Coffee and Spice Cookies

I was looking through one of my husband's late grandmother's cookbooks printed in the 1950's, when I came across this recipe for Coffee and Spice cookies.  Beside the title of the recipe, it reads, "Intriguing flavors from the Far East."  I couldn't help but giggle a bit over that one and since they sold them as being so exotic, I thought I'd whip some up.



Coffee and Spice Cookies

1 cup of soft shortening
2 cups brown sugar
2 eggs
1/2 cup cold coffee
3 1/2 cups sifted flour
1 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. nutmeg
1 tsp. cinnamon

Preheat oven to 400 degrees.  Mix together shortening, brown sugar, and eggs.  Stir in coffee and then the rest of the remaining ingredients.  Chill at least one hour before baking.   Drop teaspoonfuls about 2" apart on a lightly greased baking sheet.  Bake 8-10 until set.  (when lightly touched with finger no imprint remains.

Makes about 6 dozen cookies.

I think these would also be good with a powdered sugar glaze.

Powdered Sugar Glaze

2 cups powdered sugar
3 tbsp. of milk

Mix together until smooth.

0 comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Printable Coupons

Powered by Blogger.

Blog Archive

Followers